Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Studio Under Construction!

I'm very pleased that my studio is coming along! It has come a very long way infact. The wall I have been using for photographing my vintage boutique items was in need of some serious help...and some love. Roof damage before our new roof was installed had caused the plaster joint along the ceiling to crack, which meant lots of crumbly loose plaster beneath. As a result, over 1lb of loose plaster had to be torn out to correct the obvious sag. (We now suspect there may be quite a bit of damage to the attic floorboards right near the attic entry.) This is also the area where the chimney meets the house, so whatever that means for the chimney, we'll have to find out.

We literally saved this house when we bought it and put a new roof on it. It is now a far cry from becoming ruins. The original plaster walls are in remarkable condition with all things considered. This house has enormous amounts of life in it and will make a beautiful recovery...

This reminds me that the whole back of our house addition will need a lot of work to secure the foundation. (Unfortunately we discovered that portions of the masonry footers are crumbling due of course the gravity x the weight of the structure, thus a 3" decline.) This is a big masonry job we have scheduled within the next couple of months. I'll talk about that later...my head is already spinning.

Anyhow, luckily I knew how to make this joint seam repair fairly simply and hope that with the new roof in place, we no longer will see so much plaster movement.

The most nerve wracking part is chiseling out the loose plaster. You don't know how much is going to go...so this time, about 3" into the ceiling, the plaster just went.







To be continued...

No comments: