Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Hallway Days 2 & 3

I'm emotionally, and physically drained by day 3. It's taken me one day to get a hold of myself again today, and by get a hold of myself, I mean completely lose myself in weary and sleep.

Progress has been made.

Day 2: (Monday)

I worked a 6 hour day of sanding... Sanding every base board, every wall joint, every door frame. One of the big issues we've faced in our renovation of this house is chipping paint. Almost every inch of this house is covered in a very thin one coat of cheap white paint that pretty much peels off everything like paper in sheets or peels like latex skin. Anyway, during the day on Monday I really accomplished almost all if not most of the sanding necessary. There was so much dust in the air, during the photos I took, it's actually visable hanging in the air, but yes I was wearing a face mask. I was covered from head to toe in white dust.





Day 3: (Tuesday)

On Tuesday, I removed the paint covered pulls from the hallway linen cabinet. I plan to strip them. They are not solid brass as I had thought, because the original doorknobs and other hardware in the house are brass. However, I think I was right about it being 1930s-great depression era. I think that it was crafted by hand by the man who lived here by using scrap wood and salvaged hardware. It was rough times. People could no longer afford custom built ins and shiny metals. So, the pulls will be cleaned up and we'll see how they come out with some tarnish remover. I may coat them with a silver coating if they need it.

After removing the pulls I chipped off peeling paint and then removed each drawer one by one, sanding the face and each side of the drawers smooth with coarse sandpaper.

It was interesting to peer inside under the tub. It was spooky. I saw some k&t wiring under there! I also saw where the old clawfoot would have been hooked up. The newer plumbing is a good foot off to the left from where the old tub sat. I really wish it was still there.

The last thing I did on Tuesday was go back around the walls and putty any areas that I missed, marking x's where I still need to sand or fill in, and I used some wood putty on the face of the cabinet and base molding to fill in little impressions and scratches in the wood.

I forgot to mention on Monday, that I had removed a buch of paint from the switches and switch plate in the hallway. They came out very good.

Here is the hallway yesterday:(I know it looks wild right now, but it's going to be pretty in a few days.)




No comments: