Saturday, May 9, 2009

Hallway: Day 5






Today is Saturday and Liam had to work, but I tried to get a few things done. The sanding always feels like it will never end. I was pleasantly surprised however that the hallway did not need as much sanding as the master bedroom or what is needed for the other two bedrooms. The plaster in the hallway was in pretty good shape. I didn't have to repair very many ceiling seams or joint seams. The worst part of it is over. The cabinet is now fully repaired and will make an excellent recovery. This is awesome for only 5 days into the project. I'm very proud.

Today was spent taking care of the remainder of the sanding and beginning to strip the cabinet hardware. This is the fun stuff. The hinges will be the hardest part. I've tried to strip them without removing them for sake that re-hanging the doors may be tricky, but I may have to ultimately remove them to further clean them. They probably have at least 35 years of paint on them. It's coming off like glue.

The drawer pulls were already previously removed and are cleaning up fairly easily. They are actually silver and I think they will look good as new with some tarnish remover.

The recovery of this cabinet is really exciting. Although, we'll never see the gleaming hardwood and lacquer of yesteryear, I think it will look the best it has in over three decades in just under a weeks worth of labor.

Here are some photos of my stripping projects. Again, I'm using Multi-Strip Pro which I highly recommend.

I think the drawer pulls look like perogies now that they are being stripped, but that's just me...maybe I'm hungry.

No comments: