Wednesday, April 14, 2010

1920s Schoolhouse light for kitchen!

I bought this beautiful antique art deco schoolhouse swag light on eBay for the winning bid of $15! I had my eye on a nice light like this for the kitchen for a few weeks now, but I was getting outbid on a lot of these. They've become really sought after. I almost didn't bid on this one. I'm so glad I did.

I also won another small flush mount schoolhouse light for $14 for the side entry!
(photos soon)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Look at the beautiful shape to this one. I love the ripples along the side and the button top. The brass ball is really unique as well. I have not seen another like this one. I would expect to pay at least $200 for this light at an antique store or architectural salvage. I think it's a great buy!

I can't wait to restore it and see it lit up! It'll need a new socket, rewiring, and maybe a new finish, although I hate to touch that gorgeous patina on the globe fitter. I may try to match it. I'll also shorten the chain.

Here is are some examples of these lights in kitchens today. (courtesy flickr, google, blogger, schoolhouse electric etc.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: