Sunday, March 1, 2009

Our New Gettaway!









I have never been so proud of anything I've ever accomplished in my entire life. This is hours and hours of painstaking labor...

I began this project in early January, spackling and sanding each and every inch of this room. I carefully knocked out old cracking plaster, chiseled out multiple shelving grommets that had been covered over with sloppy putty, then I re-filled the cavities, and sanded them clean. I reworked every inch of the bedroom corner wall and ceiling seams, chiseling out loose plaster, bulging plaster and refinishing them with joint compound and sanding by hand. I carefully re-seamed the base-molding that was in areas (almost 1" from the wall.) and then carefully filled in cracks, and knicks with wood putty prior to sanding each area smooth using an orbital hand sander and manual hand sander tools. All the base molding, walls, and window and doorway casings were spackled with putty where necessary and sanded smooth, then primed with two coats before being repainted. For the past three weeks, I have worked endlessly from morning, until often midnight priming, painting, and meticulously finishing each and every detail. However, I will not go without saying that I could not have done it without Liam's help. He came home exhausted, working 50+ hour weeks to help me, doing whatever he could. His restoration of the hardwood floors however was the miracle foundation to the entire room! It is my favorite part. He spent nearly two months rendering the 80 year old floors a masterpiece of craftsmanship sanding by hand with a dragster belt sander, with medium, coarse, fine, and ultra fine sandpaper.

We have every right to be so proud!

The room of course is not however entirely completed as we plan to refinish the original closet and entry doors, as well as re-fit them with vintage period style hardware. We will then lay down the shoe molding. We will also install a new ceiling fan, and update our oulets and phone jack. Of course, we will be hanging curtains shortly...

The new room lay-out optimizes space and privacy, opens up the room, and showcases the hardwood floors!

BEFORE:



AFTER:

No comments: