Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ebay Finds

I've been searching quite profusely on eBay for a few old quilts to display in our home (since I lack the transportation to drive miles to estate sales.) I've had to keep budget in mind despite the fact that a good antique quilt has a starting value of $200. However, I did end up snagging a couple exquisite quilts that will suit a couple of the rooms in the home perfectly and within my budget. I am still looking for a quilt large enough to cover our bed, as well as fit in the with the color scheme I've envisioned to have in the room.


My favorite find by far, is this 1922 Red Cross Presentation Quilt from a seller in Washington.




I can't stop talking about this quilt! I have to say that I think the only reason I won this auction was because it ended early in the morning and I made sure I was up. Patriotic quilts like this are highly collectible, especially anything depicting the Red Cross. This one has seen quite a history. I have good reason to believe it may have been on display in Washington at the Red Cross headquarters in 1922 during the time in which the Five-Power Treaty was being deliberated and signed. It is signed and dated 1922. In fact, I think quilts like this rarely come up for auction anywhere. The Red Cross has a 1922 presentation quilt like this in their museum in Washington. I did not know this until I of course started researching my find. I originally chose the quilt for it's striking geometry and vivid color. I thought it would look brilliant against the navy blue and gray theme of our future living room. What a priceless find, our first family heirloom!



My second favorite find so far is this 1920's feedsack quilt from New Jersey.



I won this auction for only $10. This is a lovely early feedsack quilt, that will grace a twin bed in our future cozy guest room. The room will be designed with my young niece Kayla in mind; a bit girly with cottage charm. I already bought the perfect bedstand lamp at a thriftstore to match!

1 comment:

Christopher Busta-Peck said...

I've seen some decent cheap quilts at Gray's Auctioneers, at 110th and Detroit.